Saturday, January 26, 2013

On A New Obsession

So, I've had my eye on this bad boy for a while now, and finally decided to make the splurge.  (It's a kick-ass sewing machine for those of you too lazy to click the link. Don't worry, I'm a little lazy too). 

A little backstory:
So I'm not very crafty. Or rather, I don't really have the patience for crafts.  Every once in a blue moon I make something crafty I'm pretty proud of. But then my patience runs out and I don't craft again for 6 months at least. So I was afraid that I would buy this sewing machine, get overwhelmed, and then it would just sit and collect dust in the closet.  In order to prevent this from happening, and also proving that I am beyond excited to start sewing stuff, I started looking up different things online and watched a few you tube videos on sewing.  The basics from my 7th grade Home Ec class came trickling back!!!  (I did make an awesome apron and a pair of boxers back in the day).

So I think first up is surging the edges on some old cut up t-shirts to make our rags all fancy. Yeah, yeah, that's not really "crafty" but it will give me some practice on the machine and it won't matter if I mess up. Plus it will let me try (a few of the 60) different stitches and make our rags all fancy looking.  After I get the hang of it, I have some big plans for some pretty amazing throw pillows.  I'll post pics as soon as they're done! (But don't hold your breath, I'm holding out for a sale on the fabric).

And speaking of pics, I think my posts are always a little better with a pic of Bailey in them. 
Those pink and yellow scraps were a tennis ball that was attached to the middle of the rope

Success = Destroying the plastic that held together the Figure 8

2 comments:

Brian said...

The pics of Bailey crack me up. It's like in each of them she's sitting there waiting for you to acknowledge that she tore them up.

ALB said...

She's very proud of her work ;)