Thursday, January 08, 2009

Philly Pride

Last month I watched the movie Invincible when it was on tv. Ahhhhhhhh it made me miss Philly soooo much! It was such a great movie, better than Rocky. Yeah, I said it! AND, I didn't even know that Vince Papale was from Delaware County (where Tom's from!!) and he worked and lived a couple towns over from where Tom grew up!! Apparently Disney Executives thought making it look like Vince was from South Philly "more neatly" fit the script and "was more easily identifiable to the national audience." Whatever.


Watching that movie made me miss Philly so much!! Occasionally I frequent this website, which can have some pretty funny stuff on it. Also, my brother took this picture out of an airline magazine (I think) and sent it to my phone a little while ago. It pretty much sums it up!


So, in tribute to Philly, here is a list of things that I miss dearly and can’t wait to get back to (someday *sigh*):
  • Ordering a “Lager” in a bar and getting a Yeungling draft instead of a blank stare
  • Some yummy cheesesteaks (a provy without!!)
  • A pizza joint on every block
  • Dunkin Donuts! (Not specific to Philly, but we don’t have them down here!)
  • One word: Wawa!!!
  • E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! If I tell anyone in Philadephia I just bought Eagles tickets, they would absolutely, 100% know what I’m talking about. When I tell someone from Alabama I just bought Eagles tickets, they look at me and ask “the band?” *Beating. Head. Against. Wall.*
  • Honking my horn at horrible drivers (think: on cell phone. Nobody honks down here!)
  • Running along Kelly Drive
  • An Irish Pub on every other block
  • New Year’s Day and St. Patty’s Day in the city
  • The Erin Express
  • Tastykakes!!
  • Living in a city with FOUR professional sports teams
  • Fado & McGillin's
  • Free concerts on the parkway (like this one)
  • Restaurant Week!
  • Seeing fireworks from the Eagles & Phillies Stadiums from my apt window!
  • Roula! (The street vendor outside Hahnemann Hospital. Top 2 favs: Bacon, Egg, & Cheese and Grilled Cheese on wheat with tomato. YUM!)
  • BYOB restaurants
  • Rittenhouse Square
  • Being able to walk to work
  • Monkey Knife Fight from Nodding Head

Don't worry Alabama, soon enough I’ll be posting about all of the things I’m going to miss about you when we leave (oddly enough, it’s going to be a lot more than I would have ever imagined!)

No comments: