Monday, August 11, 2008

Family Reunion

Today marks the start of our annual Family Reunion in the Poconos. I’m SO BUMMED that Tom and I couldn’t make it home this year! Our reunion starts Monday afternoon when people start trickling in to the Wilkes-Barre Settlement Camp nestled on the lake in the Poconos. The next 2 and a half days are full of food, beer, and all around good times. In the spirit of my reunion, I would like to share a story or two of reunions past.

Many, many years ago (okay, maybe like 6 or 7) my cousin Sarah and I started the tradition of loading up a small cooler (or bucket, or whatever we could find) with some cold ones, putting it in a row boat, and rowing out to the middle of the lake for the afternoon. So, we had such a good time the first time we did this that we decided to make it an annual thing.


The second year we loaded up the cooler, rowed out to the middle of the lake, and started to relax. A few minutes later we noticed we were floating further down the lake toward this little island. "Weird" we thought. So we rowed back out to the middle of the lake, popped open some more cold ones and kicked back to relax. A few minutes later, the same thing. And so it went. All afternoon we kept intermittently rowing ourselves back to the middle of the lake.


If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think it was until the 3rd year when we were out on the boat, with our beers, and realized that the previous year we kept drifting because we FORGOT TO PUT THE ANCHOR DOWN! We had a good laugh over it, put the anchor down, and enjoyed a lovely afternoon on the lake.


The following year, we gathered our beers, rowed ourselves out in the lake, put down the anchor, had a good laugh about how we forgot to put it down 2 years ago, and enjoyed the afternoon. This particular year the boys must have gotten bored without us, so Matt, Jamie, and Tom rowed out onto the lake to join us after a couple hours. By this point, Sarah and I had consumed quite a few beers, but there was still 1 or 2 left in our cooler. We REALLY didn't feel like rowing ourselves back to the shore, so we told Matt (my brother) that we would give him a beer if he rowed us back (he must have still been under 21 at this point, although that didn't stop him from running up to the keg to snag a beer when no one was looking - that's a whole other story. And Yes, we have a keg at our family reunion - that's another story ;) So anyways, of course Matt agrees because he'll do anything for beer. So Matt hops into our boat and starts rowing us back. Sarah and I are just hanging out but realize he is working pretty hard to row the boat. We get almost back to shore and Jamie and Tom had already made it back to shore. At this point we're all watching Matt struggle to row and start picking on him because we are BARELY MOVING. We get literally 10 feet from the shore, when Sarah and I simultaneously realize that WE FORGOT TO PULL THE ANCHOR UP. Hahhahahaha. I laughed so hard I think I almost peed.


Here are a couple pics from years past:



No comments: