Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Alabama State Fair

Tonight we went to the Alabama State Fair with our native Alabama friends Wes and Tara and a few of their friends. It was a little more "carnival-ish" than I had imagined. I thought it would be more like people bringing their livestock to be judged, etc. (I guess that's what growing up in farm country will do to you!) They had a ton of rides in the far section like your typical carnival. Then they had a petting zoo (where I had to wash my hands after we left and I didn't even pet any animals - some chubby, sweaty kid ran up to me, grabbed my hand and started pulling me before he realized I was NOT his mom), LOTS of fair-type food (Tom enjoyed a mustard corndog while I had a funnel cake), helicopter rides (with a dog chasing after the helicopter EVERY TIME it took off and assisting with landings - I'm not sure how the helicopter didn't land on top of him), a husband and wife monkey show (comlete with leopard print costumes - for humans AND primates), pig races, the world's largest hog (over 1100 pounds), and my favorite attraction.....Monkies riding Dogs (aka Banana Derby)!!

Baby Goats!
Pig Racer #2. He lost.
Monkey man and one of his star monkeys posing for the camera

Monkeys riding Dogs!!!!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Don't you remember going to the

http://www.bloomsburgfair.com/