Friday, October 25, 2013

Some Updates on Us

So I realized that there hasn't really been much content to the blog lately....mostly just cute pics of Adam and random sewing projects! (I have more cute pics of Adam - see below, and more sewing project pics to post this week).

So anyways things have been going pretty well.  For those who don't know, I am no longer working full time (woooooo!) but this decision did not come without a lot of thought (and budgeting) and is certainly only temporary.  I always knew I wanted to stay home with our baby, but financially I always knew this would not be an option. 
Luckily with my career, I have a great amount of flexibility so I am taking advantage of it to the fullest! I am staying on with Children's as "contingency" status, which basically means they will call me when they need me and if I can work, I will.  Currently I'm working a few hours every Wednesday evening through December to cover some maternity leaves (yes, more people at work had babies - 12 total this year)! 
My other job is seeing kids through the Early Intervention program. This allows me the tremendous flexibility to try to pick up referrals in my area and to see them in the evenings and weekends when Tom can stay home with Adam. 
Also, we are extremely lucky that Tom has some flexibility in his schedule and can go in early and leave early to be home in time to watch Adam while I go to work.  I still need to try to pick up a few more referrals from EI but it's kind of cut throat trying to get kids in my neighborhood! 

It's indescribably amazing being able to stay home with Adam during the day, and I love that we don't have to figure child care costs into our budget.  But of course I worry that he needs to be socialized so I've been going to a few different mom groups to get both me and Adam out of the house once in a while.  It's been great being able to socialize with other new moms (one of whom may have brought some Guinness, the breastfeeding beer, to our last meetup). Yay for new friends with babies who like beer!

I feel like Adam has entered the phase where he does something new or different every.single.day. And it is amazing :D  I desperately want the next 9 months to go by super slow, even though I know they will fly.  And I know he will be fun after he is a year old as well, but he'll only be a baby once ;)  Speaking of Adam and being super cute.....some pics of our week:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That face just gets me every time....so so cute. Can't wait to give him some Miss Kelly kisses and teach him about phalanges. :)

ALB said...

Thanks Kel!! You need to plan a Chicago visit soon!!