Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Atlanta trip

We had a good time in Atlanta this past weekend. I’ll hopefully post the pics soon on webshots. We went with some of Tom’s friends from UAB so there were 7 of us total. We drove out on Saturday and went to the Bodies in Motion exhibit at the civic center…which apparently was the same thing as the bodies exhibit at Franklin Institute but I was never able to go because I was always busy with wedding planning. Anyways it was amazing and right up my alley. The bodies were dissected and then plasticized using this new preservation technique they are working on. The muscles were really cool and a good anatomy review for me :) But the cardiovascular system was by far the coolest. They injected all of the arteries and veins with red and blue dye and then somehow miraculously dissected everything else away except for the arteries and veins and they were able to preserve them in their original shape. It was amazing.

Saturday night we went to Underground Atlanta for dinner which was kinda scary…I do not recommend it. Then we went to a bar that had live music and ended up across the street at Hard Rock so that was fun.

On Sunday we went to the Georgia Aquarium (and Ikea! How I miss Ikea!) The aquarium was really cool and I have some cool pics of that I will have to post. My favorite part was the giant whale sharks. They only ate plankton, and for some reason each one of them had their “posse” of little yellow fish that swam in front of their mouths. There’s a pic of one below but it’s kinda hard to see the little yellow guys. This might be Ralph…one of them was named Ralph :) These 2 pics are from my camera phone so they’re not that great. All in all it was a good trip.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The creepy feelings we had at the Underground were not unfounded. Apparently other people we work with told us we shouldn't have gone to the Underground either. At least we had enough sense to leave when we noticed the people getting patted down after entering the restaurant.
Kelly