Thursday, June 26, 2008

My basil plant



Last year I got my first basil plant. It was my first of any kind of plant.....well, I lied. I had a plant in Philly that my mom brought back from North Carolina. ANYWAYS. My basil plant was my first plant that we could actually eat what it was growing. But then we went home for 9 days in August and it died.


So this year I bought another one (Tom told me if I let this one die I'm not allowed to get another one ;) and so far it's doing pretty well. It's been flourishing and we've been eating a lot of pesto and tomato and basil soup. Email me (alb245@yahoo.com) if you have any good suggestions of additional things I can make with all of my basil! Otherwise I'm just going to make a bunch of pesto and freeze it.


P.S. Sorry all of my blogs lately are about food!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Basil Mojita
http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/displaycocktail.php/1188-Basil-Mojito

Dad said...

Basil Mojita
http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/displaycocktail.php/1188-Basil-Mojito

Dad said...

Basil Mojita

1 lime, halved lengthwise
2 ounces (1⁄4 cup) simple syrup (consult a cookbook for instructions) or 3 teaspoons sugar
10 fresh basil leaves plus a sprig for garnish
1⁄2 cup ice
1 to 1 1⁄2ounces rum
2 ounces (1⁄4 cup) club soda

Squeeze half the lime into a tall glass. Cut other half into 4 wedges and put 3 in the glass. Add simple syrup and basil leaves and muddle to extract flavor. Add ice, rum, and club soda; stir. Garnish with basil sprig and remaining lime wedge. Makes 1 drink.