Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Little Miss Bails

We've had Bailey for almost 5 months now, and I couldn't imagine not having her in our lives. When we first brought her home, I felt really guilty about keeping her in her crate all day when we were gone, being gone all day, and then keeping her in her crate to sleep as well. I kept thinking things like "At the shelter, at least she would have people walking by her every day, she would at least get to see human life throughout the day" and "Here she only gets to spend a total of 5-6 hours out of her crate every day, poor thing."

Now I know better. She is so spoiled and her life is so much better than it ever could have been in the shelter. Sure, she may get to see more people at the shelter, but how many of them scratch her ears, play tug-of-war with her tuffy ring, throw her Orbee snowball for her, or let her sneak up onto the couch to lay down next to them?

I'm not even sure if the shelter we got her from is a "No kill" shelter. After having her for 5 months and talking to a ton of other people who have rescued dogs, I can't imagine getting a "purebred" when there are so many good dogs in the shelter in need of a home.

This is a pretty big deal for me, because I've grown up with border collies and have come to LOVE that breed. One of the reasons we waited so long to get a dog was because I had my heart set on a border collie. Now that doesn't seem to matter so much. It's amazing how strongly I feel about rescuing shelter dogs. Enjoy some pics of our little adoptee :)

She might be a little OCD. She brought her toys out of her toy box one by one and then lined them up in a neat little line. She is so special ;)



No comments: