Saturday, June 08, 2013

Modified Bedrest = Crafty Little Saturday

So, I had my 34 week appointment yesterday.  I'll spare you all of the details but basically my blood pressure is a little high and Baby B's head is a little low (actually much lower than it should be at this point).  I had strict orders to "be a princess" this weekend and I'm only allowed to go to work next week if they can accommodate me and allow me to work seated.  I think I'll be able to sit for most of my patients but there are definitely some that I won't be able to see, and there will still be a moderate amount of on my feet in between patients and at the beginning/end of treatment sessions.  We're going to try and see how it goes. I have to take my BP again Monday morning at work and call it in and I have another appointment on Friday. I had a talk with Baby B last night about staying put, but at 3am he tried to kick his way out, so already he isn't very good at listening ;)

So I decided that today was a perfect time to work on a few sewing projects I had been wanting to do. Luckily I had all of the supplies and had even prepped a couple of them, otherwise I wouldn't have been able work on them. 

I made two crinkly taggie blankets, one for me and one for a friend. I used (clean) cereal bags as the crinkly material on the inside.  These will be perfect to just throw in the diaper bag for a simple stay-busy toy.  They're machine washable too!  And I love the fabrics, the flannel pattern is leftover from the boppy cover I made and the green minky is leftover from the changing pad cover. I kind of wish I used this combo on the changing pad cover, but oh well.  I followed this tutorial.  I just made mine a little bigger (I think 10 x 10 pre-sewing).




I also made a large wet bag! (This is what used cloth diapers go in until I do laundry - then everything, including the bag, gets dumped into the washer).  I received one wet bag from my Aunt Judy for my shower which I love, but I quickly realized I will need more than one, because baby will inevitably soil his diaper when the wet bag is in the wash :)  I found some remnant PUL at JoAnn a few weeks ago for 50% off and snatched it up. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it at the time, but I knew it would come in handy.  I have enough fabric leftover to make 2 more small wet bags for the diaper bag (I just need to get 2 more zippers).  I pretty much followed this tutorial, except I used bobby pins to hold the fabric together instead of pins (because the less holes in the wet bag, the better) and had to use common sense a few places (which doesn't come easy for me in regards to sewing) where her instructions weren't clear.  But I did it!  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the taggy blanket, they're super easy. I've never put krinkle in them though....hmmmm that's something to think about.

Anonymous said...

Praying your blood pressure and Baby B cooperate for a little while longer. Thinking of you both!

ALB said...

Thanks guys!!

Kendal said...

Very best of luck!! Love your super craftiness!!!