Friday, January 31, 2014

Sew darn crafty!!

So since I am no longer working full time, our income has been drastically reduced, which means our budget has been reduced, which means I can no longer just go out and buy something if I want it.  We've been trying to figure out some sort of toy storage solution, and some simple baskets under our console table would definitely do the trick.  Problem is, I didn't want to spend $40+ for two baskets! 

I think I was googling creative storage solutions or something and I came across this post, where a woman sewed (is that right?) a cover for a milk crate for easy, pretty storage.  Brilliant! Except that we didn't have any milk crates :(  I searched on Craigslist and a local mom swap that I'm part of, but no luck.  I planned to check out Salvation Army, not really expecting to find anything. We had plans to stop there to drop off a bunch of stuff anyways.  So on a snowy Saturday on the way to visit friends, we dropped off our donation, and I was about to go inside when I saw 2 lonely milk crates sitting next to the donation drop off area. I asked the guys working there if they were using them for something or if they were for sale, and they told me to just take them! I was so excited!  Free milk crates!!


So we took them home and cleaned and scrubbed and washed and disinfected them about a million times. I used some fabric that we had purchased last summer with plans to make an outdoor curtain (that never happened...I wonder why....it's not like we had anything going on last summer, ha).  I decided to use some scraps of fabric as an accent that matched the pillows I made last year. I knew I was holding onto those scraps for some reason, and this was perfect!!  I'm so excited with how everything turned out!!!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent job! Now you all should come visit and get me motivated to do some of my sewing projects :)