Friday, January 19, 2007

I love weekends

I'm so excited that it's Friday. We don't even have anything planned for this weekend (except for a 9 mile run Sunday morning at 6:30) but I'm just so glad it's here. Last weekend was pretty productive for us. Tom worked a lot on his thesis project at lab and I cleaned and organized a bunch of my stuff.

I went to a wheelchair basketball tournament at Lakeshore Foundation Saturday afternoon for a little bit. It was awesome! They had all different age groups but the college teams were my favorite to watch. Some of the guys had upper bodies/arms/chests bigger than anyone I know! And they were ruthless! They would just crash into each other and their chairs would turn over and they would just hop back upright chair and all using just their arms. It was really fun to watch. There is a quad rugby tournament there in March that I can't wait to go to.

It's really amazing that the Lakeshore Foundation is literally right down the street from us and it's 1 of only 5 or 6 official Olympic and Paralympic training sites in the whole country. They do a lot of cool research there too. They just did a study on power soccer...which is people who have significant physical involvement/disabilities and use their power wheelchairs to play soccer. Physically, their bodies are not really moving at all, just their power wheelchairs, but the study they conducted found that power soccer had a positive cardiovascular effect on these patients. That's just really amazing I think and has huge implications for the benefits of recreation and physical activity even for people who physically may not even be able to move anything below their neck! Sorry, I'll get off my PT soapbox now :)

It finally got cold down here again....30's and 40's. I hope it's not too cold for the Mercedes 1/2 marathon in February! Although anything can be better than running a marathon with 100% humidity and temps in the 80's! Not that I'm complaining.......... ;)

No comments: