Monday, May 24, 2010

Awesome Weekend Part 2

Sunday our friends Tara and Wes invited us to go tubing with them down the Cahaba River. My first thoughts were "That sounds awesome!" but then my 2nd thoughts were "I have so much work to do, I really need to go into work and get caught up and I need to get caught up around the apartment too with Yohanabama* happening next weekend." Then my 3rd thoughts were "There are water moccasins in the Cahaba River and I don't want to die." Then I proceeded to have 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th thoughts and by Sunday morning when our friend Paige finally convinced me to go, I think Tom was pretty fed up with my indecisiveness.

Anyways, we were invited by our friends Wes and Tara, who were invited by their friend Dixon, who also happened to invite about 60 of his closest friends. So there was a massive amount of people floating down the river.

We drove down some serious country roads to get to this tiny little shack that doesn't even have any signs. You pay the $10 for your tube, sign your life away, and then hop on the back of a pick-up truck and hang on for dear life as you ride through cow pastures and pass Rosie, the BIGGEST wild pig I have ever seen in my whole life! Then without warning the truck stops and you're on your own!

I quickly scanned the bank for snakes and then launched onto my tube for the journey down the river. All in all it was pretty successful, I made it down the whole river without getting bitten by a snake (although we did see quite a few turtles) or thrown out of my tube (although I did have to walk down the waterfall as far as I could and then dive belly first onto my tube and hope I didn't flip over) without getting majorly sunburnt (although I ended up with a tiny patch on my left leg...I'll take it considering how burnt I could have been) and my right foot got tangled in a rock only once with some minor bruising. Tom has a pretty nasty scrape on his back from a few of the rocks. One lady had 2 sweet little puppies with her...they were hanging onto her for dear life. I think Bailey would have liked the river but she didn't get to make the trip. And we all decided to pass on any attempts to swing off of the rope swing halfway down the river. Our cooler survived the trip, but sadly there was no floating hot dog stand like there was the last time we went tubing back in PA. Still some good times. Good times were had by all.

*Yohanabama: Our friend Mike is coming to visit this weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY, very excited to meet the football boyfriend in person.

Stacy said...

Ugg! I wish I had known! I love tubing and cannot ever get anyone to go because they cite snakes and alligator gwar! Let me know if you decide to go back!!!