Monday, June 21, 2010

Boston Recap

I was in Boston for PT Annual Conference last Wednesday through Saturday. It was such a great trip, I don't even know where to begin! The programming was pretty good, although most of it was more of a review than brand new information, but regardless it was still good to hear. I ran into an old co-worker from CHOP and an old PT school classmate as well. We may have had a little too much fun outside of the actual courses as I'm exhausted and trying really hard to will away my sore throat and stuffy nose!

I traveled and roomed with a co-worker (Hi Penny!) so that made things a lot more fun. We arrived Wednesday night, after a little scare on the airplane. We were literally about to land and all of the sudden the plane took off at a 70 degree angle toward the sky, then we heard the landing gear come back up, and they didn't come on the loudspeaker and tell us anything for a full 2-3 minutes (it seemed like 10). They said they were "re-routed" and I think that "re-routed" is code for "PULL UP RIGHT NOW THERE IS ANOTHER PLANE ON THE RUNWAY!!!" After we successfully landed we rode the shuttle to the hotel with some interesting characters (one of whom got into a heated argument with the shuttle driver at the first stop....I thought there was going to be blood but thankfully everything worked out).

We finally arrived at the hotel only to find out our room wasn't ready (4.5 hours after official check-in). The lady didn't seem too concerned that we had been traveling all day so I asked her if we could at least get a drink ticket or something to make up for them not having the room ready (go me!) She said she could give us 1 free breakfast. We were planning on just throwing our bags in the room and going out to dinner anyways so we checked them in the lobby and met another co-worker for some grub. We returned to the hotel at 9:30 and they still had not called my phone to let me know the room was ready, so I decided to be "stern but polite" and make sure they knew I wasn't satisfied. I barely had to say anything and the guy apologized, said it was ridiculous we had to wait so long, and comped us free breakfast every morning we were there!

So we finally get up to our room, open our door, and see a big pile of sheets/towels/linen sitting on the chair. I called our new friend "Owen" at the front desk and politely asked him to send someone up to clean it up and get us new linens. Housekeeping came and took care of it. As we were getting ready for bed, we heard a knock at the door.......roomservice! Owen and the "Front Desk Staff" sent us a nice hand-written apology for all of our "troubles" and a bottle of wine with cheese, crackers, and fruit!

Our luck continued well into the next day. We had planned on going to the Red Sox game Thursday night, so when we saw some girls at a booth at the exhibit hall wearing Red Sox jerseys, we went up to ask them if they had any tips for going to the game or getting tickets. Turns out they were wearing the jerseys because they were having a raffle to win tickets to Thursday night's game......and guess what??? We won!!!! We got two $52 tickets for free!!

Our seats were behind home plate. It worked out perfect, because we happened to have an extra seat next to us, so our friend from work was able to buy a cheap ticket outside and enjoy the game with us!

After the game we headed over to Boston Beer Works to watch the NBA championship game. As it became evident that the Celtics were going to lose, we decided to head out and avoid the angry mobs. And I'm glad we did, we were the only people on the streets.....except for the couple hundred police decked out in their riot gear (think Arts Fest at Penn State).

Friday night I was able to meet up with a couple friends from college....my friend Sarah lives in Boston and joined us for dinner and a drink and my friend Matt lives in Rhode Island and drove up for a drink. It was so great to catch up with them!

Luckily we had a decent amount of time in between courses during the day so we were able to go for a run along the Charles River and walk downtown to the Boston Common & Public Garden. Being in Boston made me sooooo "citysick" (think homesick but craving a city instead of home). I am really, really, really keeping my fingers crossed that our next move is to a certain Windy City but if not, I know it will all work out.

No comments: