Tuesday, August 30, 2011

If you don't have an iphone.....

...you're me. At least that's what I always say whenever that commercial comes on "If you don't have an iphone..."

Sunday night (the last night of vacation), I was down on the dock, snapping a few pics of the sunset with Bailey laying next to me. I bent down to pet her and give her a kiss (and of course she turned her nose away) and then I heard a "PLOP!" I immediately looked at my hand that my camera was in, thinking somehow I accidentally let go of the camera string that was tied around my wrist, but saw the camera. Then I remembered my phone was in my pocket because I was waiting for the owner to call me back (I mean, who rents out their house/cabin and doesn't give any instructions on where to leave the key when you leave, what to clean up, etc). I looked into the lake and saw my phone, open, staring back up at me.

I started laughing and couldn't stop...which is a weird response for someone who just dropped their phone in the lake. I ran inside, got some tongs, and "fished" my phone out of the lake. Then drove the 2 miles into town, bought a bag of rice at Rite Aid (the only place open in Paw Paw on a Sunday night), and submerged my phone into the rice to allow it to sit for a few days (the rice is supposed to draw all of the water out of the phone).

I think I was laughing initially because I've been toying with the idea of getting an iphone for months now (if not years). I just couldn't justify the extra $30/month for the data plan, but I also kept thinking of excuses as to why I needed to have an iphone and how to justify the $30. Tom says I wouldn't have driven into town to get rice if I really wanted the iphone, I would have just let my phone be and got an iphone when we got back to Chicago on Monday. I say that I wanted the rice to dry it out enough so they could get all of my phone numbers, etc off of my SIM card.

When we got back and I checked our mail, the first thing on top of the whole pile of envelopes was from Verizon, offering a $100 Verizon gift card if you trade in your old phone and upgrade to a smart phone. I read the fine print, and didn't actually see anything that said the phone has to be in working order :)

Also, it's kind of ironic that a week after I wrote this post, about how facebook was so annoying to me, I now have to rely on it as my primary means of communication with the outside world.

I think for now, I'm going to just let my phone sit in the rice for a few days, keep thinking of pros and cons of the iphone and the extra cost, and then make a decision at the end of the week. Any thoughts???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the smartphone and have completely justified the $30 dataplan. Especially since it delivers email to my phone as well. So I would go with the iPhone, one would assume the $100 from Verizon was a sign from the cosmos. :)

ALB said...

Thanks Kel and Aunt Judy (for the FB message)! I am strongly leaning toward the iphone. Just waiting to see if my phone powers up or not :)