Saturday, November 28, 2009

On spoiling myself......

So, I didn't really mean to spoil myself, but with all of the things I have purchased/received this past week I can't help but feel a bit guilty! So....my big purchase on Thanksgiving that I mentioned in my last post? Drumroll please......................
  • A 46" Samsung LCD HDTV!!!!!!! (On super sale, of course!) I've been eyeing up these bad boys for years now and finally decided this fall that I was going to get one. I searched websites, stores, flyers, and read countless reviews on different tvs. This little bundle of joy is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.....just in time for bowl season!!

Also, earlier in the week I made a purchase from Dell Home......a 10.1 inch Dell Mini netbook! I'd been wanting a laptop for a long time, but couldn't quite justify buying one when my desktop works just fine. I got a really good deal on it, and decided that I would rather have this than the new digital camera that I had already saved up money for and was just waiting until it went on sale.

Then came Black Friday. I didn't really need anything and I really didn't want to purchase anything big (since I just bought a TV AND a laptop!) but there were some good deals on a few things that I'd been wanting for a while (and we've been holding off on buying, waiting for a good deal). So I got some new towels for $4 each and a new 600 thread count sheet set for $24. Yay :)

So on Saturday while I was lounging on the couch (watching football and picturing what it's going to look like on my new tv in a few days!!) I decided to log into my Capital One credit card account because I remembered getting a letter from them a few months ago saying they were going to be offering smaller denomination gift cardsfor their miles/rewards program. I had earned 10,000 miles from my credit card using days and decided that I will never earn the 30,000 needed for a one way flight, so I thought I would cash these in after I checked out the gift card situation. To my delight, they had a $100 gift card to spafinder.com which allows you to use their giftcards at various spas. Since I've never been the spa and have a really hard time justifying spending money there, I decided to use my miles to get the spa gift card!! I'm going to get the 55 minute Swedish Massage when I go and I CAN'T WAIT :D

There, I've confessed to the world that I'm selfish and materialistic :( (I'm really not, I just needed to publicly justify all of my purchases so I wouldn't keep on feeling insanely guilty about treating myself). And also, I'm not going to buy anything for myself for like a year!

****Edit: Immediately after writing and posting this blog I was going through my google reader and reading a couple of posts from The Simple Dollar, as I had been meaning to do all day. The third post I clicked on was this post about not feeling guilty about buying certain items. Trent says "Here’s the real truth of the entire story. If it’s something you’re passionate about, you plan for it, and you can afford it, don’t feel guilty about buying it. There’s absolutely nothing “wrong” with living your life and enjoying the things you truly care about." Granted, watching tv isn't as great of a hobby as cooking, but the overall point is the fact that everything else in that sentence is true. Thanks Trent!!

No comments: