Sunday, May 31, 2009

Path Picnic and Star Trek (hopefully without spoilers)

This weekend was Tom's picnic for the UAB Department of Pathology. It was held at a local park and there was a pretty good turnout. It was catered by Jim 'n Nick's (mmmmm BBQ) and the weather was perfect. There was even a game of kickball after lunch.
Saturday night we went out to the movies with some friends (for the first time in two years!) We don't really have anything against going to the movies, we just don't go. I can't really explain why.....I guess we're just not really "Movie people." We'll watch movies if we're with friends or family but it just isn't something we do when it's just the two of us. Anyways some of our friends had wanted to see Star Trek so that's what we went to see. It was actually really good! I was a little confused about the whole time travel thing and there being 2 Spocks (I hope I just didn't ruin that for anyone.....that's something trekkies already know about, right?) But I was surprised with how much I enjoyed the movie. After the movie we went across the street to sit outside and enjoy some live music and Sam Summer Ale.
Here's a picture of the dessert I made for Tom's birthday last week. For dinner I made buffalo chicken tenders and homemade mac & cheese. For the cake I mixed together yellow cake mix with crushed oreos and chocolate chips....baked it.....then mixed together a little bit of milk with powdered sugar for the glaze and poured it over the cake. We had it with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate syrup. Yum.

No comments: