Saturday, July 24, 2010

Has this ever happened to you?

So, I went to BP** the other day to fill up on gas. I'm standing there pumping gas, watching the numbers go up and up and up, and thinking that surely the tank has to be close to full. Sure enough, it was, because suddenly gas started overflowing from my tank! I immediately took my finger off the lever, then withdrew it from the car and it was still letting gas trickle out. I put the nozzle back on the pump and went inside to let them know that their pumps are not automatically shutting off when the tank is full (as this has never happened to me before, I assumed ALL gas tanks automatically shut off and stop pumping gas when the tank is full). What follows is my conversation with the gas station attendant:

Me: "Um, Hi, I was filling up on Pump #1 and my tank was full and the pump didn't shut off, gas just started overflowing from my tank and pouring on the ground!"
Gas Lady: "Oh, baby, that's ok, that just happened to me the other day!"
Me: "Um, okay, but I just wanted to let you know that your gas tanks aren't shutting off so it doesn't happen to someone else. It seems kind of dangerous."
Gas Lady: "Mmmhmmm, that same thing happened to me, not even at this gas station! See, I had the little lever clicked on so I could walk away from my car and when I came back gas was going everywhere!"
Me: "Okay. I didn't have the little lever "clicked on," I was standing there holding the lever the whole time, and it didn't shut off when my gas was fill."
Gas Lady: "Yeah, you just have to watch the numbers."
Me: "OKAY. Is there a manager or someone I can talk to to let them know your gas pumps aren't shutting off when people's tanks are full?"
Gas Lady: "Mmmm hmm, you gotta call The State and ax them what to do. Because my manager, he's not here right now. You gotta call The State."
Me: "I understand you can't do anything about it, but it seems really dangerous and someone working at the gas station should be able to fix it."
Gas Lady: "Mmm hmmm, just call The State."

I didn't even get into the fact that they completely ripped me off because it charged me for all of the gas that went all over the pavement. Is this BP's plan to make a few extra cents on every car that fills up there to make up for the oil leak?

So if anyone has any ideas as to how I go about calling "The State," who I should talk to at "The State," or how to get the phone number of the state of Alabama, please let me know. Or if you have any insight on why it's the State's fault that BP's gas pumps aren't shutting off.

And if this is a normal occurence and just the first time it's happened to me, just ignore this post.

**I only went to BP because we have $125 worth of gift cards from participating in Alabama's Commute Smart program and logging our commuting. As if they haven't done enough to ruin our environment, I had already planned on avoiding them like the plague once these gift cards are used up. This further confirms I will never stop at BP again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That happens to me every couple of months where it trys to get too full and I have to watch the amount. I thought it was just my car....as my car will sometimes also shut off the pump after only 2 gallons and continues to shut off the pump while I'm putting in gas.