Saturday, February 07, 2009

I have the best life.

I really do. I'm not saying this to be boastful or arrogant. I'm saying it because I'm so thankful for everything I have and sometimes I can't help but wonder why everything is so good for me and when it is going to go wrong. What brought on this recurrent epiphany you ask? I'll tell you.

Last Sunday night Tom and I went over to our friends Doug and Paige's house for the superbowl. They had invited another couple over, who we met for the first time, Bryant and Jody. Usually when we meet decent people, we're like "they're cool, we'll probably see them around sometime." But Jody and Bryant were among those few people that you meet and you say "Wow, they are so nice! I'm looking forward to hanging out with them again soon!" We talked with them for a little while and learned that they just finished their wedding plans for this Spring. Tom also joked with him about coming up to Penn State in 2011 to see Alabama play Penn State. After the game was over, we all said good bye and planned to see each other again this weekend for Paige's birthday. I said "Bye" and sulked out the door because I was in a bad mood because the Steelers won.

Wednesday I got an email from Tom saying that he just talked to Doug, and Bryant had passed away Tuesday night. He went to the gym Monday morning and everything was fine until he sat down after doing some bicep curls and suddenly couldn't feel his legs. He was rushed to the hospital where he developed an excruciating headache and it was discovered he had a brain aneurysm. He started feeling better Monday afternoon, visited with some friends and family who came to the hospital, and Tuesday morning went in for surgery to repair the aneurysm. He never woke up after the surgery and passed away Tuesday night.

We could tell Bryant was a really nice guy from the minute we met him, but had no idea how generous and amazing he really was. He's the kind of guy that the world needs more of, not less of. My heart breaks for Jody and his family. I just can't even begin to imagine.

That brings me back to my life. What's the worst thing I've ever experienced? The death of my grandparents, which is sad, but not uncommon. And the deaths of some of my patients. Again, sad, but I choose to work in oncology and the ICU so again, unfortunately, not uncommon. I have the most amazing husband in the world, a dog that is completely silly and makes me laugh, supportive and healthy parents and a brother, great friends, a secure job that I actually enjoy, relatives that I adore, and hopefully a long, bright future ahead of me.

Please keep Bryant's friends, family, and fiance in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: