Friday, November 05, 2010

Chicago, My Kind of Town! Part I

Wow! Well, we made it! The packing/moving was a nightmare, but really, when is it ever pleasant? We have A LOT of stuff. Our theory is that since our apartment in Birmingham was so big, it was easy to accumulate things because we always had a place to store it, and we were never cramped. Even though we donated 6 carloads of stuff to Good Will before we left, I think we will be making a few more trips after we get everything unpacked. If we haven’t used it in the last year…it’s gone!

But I digress. So the movers didn’t end up leaving our apartment until 6:30 Wednesday night. We finished cleaning, packed up the car with what was left (which barely fit!) and ate our first meal of the day right before getting on the road at 8:00 at night! We only made it to Nashville, because we were both completely exhausted and poor Bailey was cramped into this tiny space in the back seat.

We found a pet friendly hotel (the worker even waived the pet fee for us) and stopped for the night. I had the best night’s sleep I’ve had in a long time. I think it was a combination of 1) being completely exhausted, 2) my back was KILLING me, and 3) I knew I was going to have to sleep on an air mattress until our movers showed up with our bed. The hotel would have been absolutely state of the art…if it were 1976. But we can’t complain because we got a good nights sleep, a free breakfast, and Bailey got to stay for free. And yes, that is a gallon of milk in the background. We completely forgot it was in the fridge, so Tom brought it along (what's one more gallon of milk when your car is already overstuffed?!)

*I decided to divide this up into several posts, otherwise it would make for one REALLY long blog post which none of my 6 readers would ever read ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We would too read it....just maybe in parts so it is probably best that you break it up. Happy unpacking.

Unknown said...

Glad y'all made it! Waiting for the next post in this series...