Monday, November 08, 2010

Why does Chicago hate us?

Or maybe the better question is...Is our apartment haunted? (Lordy, I hope not. I almost didn't even write this post for fear that someone would leave a comment and say "Maybe your apartment is haunted!" As if by someone else saying it outloud instead of me just thinking it in my head it might actually be true. So no comments about our place being haunted!!)

So, it all started with our crappy movers screwing us over. They tried to delay our pick-up date in Birmingham by 2 days until I called and talked to their boss. Then I mistakenly told them the estimated delivery date was 2-7 days when they asked, so of course they're taking their sweet-a** time delivering. And they told their boss that we had agreed upon this Wednesday as a delivery date (only found that out because I called their boss again on Saturday). It would be one thing if they told us up front it would take 7 days, but feeling like you're being taken advantage of and lied to is a pretty crappy feeling.

We've been having problems with our heat since we moved in. The landlady seems to think we don't know how to work the programmable thermostat and her advice was "Make sure you don't have the AM and the PM mixed up." Um, thanks. The maintainance guy came out today and he thinks there is something actually wrong with the furnace (take that! And then buy us a new furnace!)

Last night I was in the kitchen and Tom was in the 2nd bedroom on the computer when we heard a super LOUD crash followed by glass shattering. We both immediately ran into the hallway thinking something had happened to the other person when we saw that the glass light covering in our bedroom had crashed to the floor for no apparent reason. THANKFULLY Bailey wasn't in there because I think that she (0r us) could have been significantly injured if that had fallen on our heads (if not worse).

Earlier last night Tom was messing around with these super cool lights they have hanging over the bar area in the kitchen because the one looked like it was just kind of hanging there by a single electrical thread. The lightbulb had burnt out so he was going to change it, when the whole thing sparked and blew a fuse. We told the maintainance guy about that as well and he's going to call an electrician.

We finally just gave up and went to bed early last night. I had an interview at 8 am this morning and I wanted to make sure I was well rested. We set our alarm for pretty early because we were unsure of what the traffic situation would be on my way to the interview. Fastforward to 10:30 PM when I woke up completely on the floor, with a deflated air mattress between me and the floor. It was a rough night.

OK! Enough negativity! There have been some good things that have been going on as well. For starters, we bought a new air mattress ;) I have 5 interviews this week for 3 different jobs. I'm really torn between two of them so I'm hoping that there will be a clear choice after my interviews are over (and that the clear choice offers me the job!) Other than the light sparking, I love, love, love our kitchen. There is a ton of cabinet space and I love the countertops! Here is a pic of it from before we moved in.

I can't wait until we can officially get "moved in" and settled and can get out and explore the city a little more!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure Chicago doesn't hate you...I'm guessing the apartment is just learning to love you. I mean you don't know WHAT kind of people lived there before so they may have abused the apartment and made it angry.